Tuesday, June 23, 2009


I have recently finished reading the book about the now famous Duggar Family. As a SAHM who homeschools I'm always looking for tips on organization! I figured with 18 children Michelle Duggar had to have a little wisdom to share. It was really a blessing to read their story, how it all started and their journey up until this point, how the Lord has blessed them. I was amazed how organized the family is and along with her tips on organization I also loved her tips on frugal living. One of these tips I have adopted for our family is her recipe for home made laundry detergant. One of the things I have been griping about lately is how much laundry soap I go through and how much it costs...I cringe everytime I have to add it to my buggy at walmart! I figured if it worked for her family it had to work for mine, so I gave it a go. All I can say is that for just a little bit of work......I'm saving a whole lot of money and I have clean clothes! Works for me! So I thought I'd share the recipe with you!

Michelle Duggar says "This laundry detergent saves a huge amount of money. We buy it's three ingredients for less than five dollars, and the resulting concentrate lasts our large family two to three months! It's a watery gel that produces low suds inside the washer. The ingredients are usually available in the laundry products aisle of the supermarket (I buy mine at Publix) or order online.

1 Fels Naptha soap bar, grated
1 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax

Grate the soap bar in to a small saucepan, cover with hot water. Cook over medium low heat, stiring continually until the soap completely dissolves. Put Washing Soda and Borax in a 5 gallon bucket. Pour in the hot melted soap mixture. Stir well until all the powder is disolved. Fill the bucket to the top with hot tap water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight. The next morning stir the mixture.

For Top loading machines use 1/2 Cup of the concentrate per load
For Front loading machines use 1/4 Cup of the concentrate per load

If you try it let me know! I haven't had any problems with clothes coming clean for me. My husband works with cattle and if he comes home particularly messed up.....if you know what I mean....I just use a full cup of the soap in my top loading machine and everything comes out beautifuly!

3 comments:

Shalae said...

I like your new blog layout! I actually found this recipe a while ago and have tried it too! I was wondering if would it really get our clothes cleaned too, but it works! Plus it's so much cheaper!

Jennifer said...

Wow, I need to try this! I found another site I love that I think you will too. She makes her own dish liquid, detergent, and lots of other things. Check it out http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/

Jen :)

Unknown said...

Interesting, Launa. I haven't ever seen that type of soap before but I guess maybe it's because I wasn't looking? Did you have a hard time finding the ingredients? Seems like it's at least worth a try!

Post a Comment

Leave me a little note....